I have to admit that I LOVE Mexican food. Tacos, burritos, quesadillas .. all of it. It may be related to my avocado fixation, but who cares .. guacamole is just THE BEST, amiright?!
There’s a lot of avocado love out there these days, and for good reason. Apart from the flavour and texture of avocado, I love it for its abundance of vitamins and minerals, heart healthy monounsaturated fat (oleic acid), fibre, antioxidants (carotenoids – for eye health) and health benefits that may extend to improved absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E & K), cancer inhibition, arthritis relief, reduced cholesterol and triglycerides and yes, weight loss too!
Tacos are a go-to meal in our house and this guacamole recipe is just so darned delicious that I had to share it with you. There are the purists out there that will tell you guacamole is best with only 3 ingredients – avocado, lime and sea salt (and that really is delicious) – but this one is worth a try .. trust me!
One notable thing is the addition of basil, which may seem a bit unorthodox but was born out of my husband’s dislike of cilantro. It actually tastes amazing (with or without cilantro too) and gives it a slightly unexpected flavour.
Break out the tortilla chips and give it a try!
The Best Guacamole
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 small onion finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 4-6 pickled jalapeño slices diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste
- Sliced the avocados in half, remove the pit and place in a large bowl. Mash
- roughly with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir together.
- Garnish with fresh jalapeño slices and/or fresh herbs (optional)
- Serve alongside good quality tortilla chips or your favourite Mexican dish.
Share this post with friends!